Friday, March 7

weekend truths: the hardest part...



The hardest part about working for yourself is working for yourself. It's a simple and honest answer but only today did i realize it. Working in retail you sometimes have no connection to the actual company. You may love it and your employees but if the company isn't doing well, you can simply move on if you feel like there's a problem. You don't make huge investments into the company; aside from your time, but when it's your own brand or business and you're doing it all by yourself, every unanswered email or every shop that says no feels like a punch. So far this year I've contacted so many places about carrying Skoope Home but it seems like every week that goes by I'm getting nowhere with these efforts. They either love my designs but aren't looking to carry prints in their store or just haven't responded and those that have, randomly just stop emailing me back. Now let me preface all this by saying, I by no means expect people to go "OMG gotta get these right now", I'm just being honest about how it feels. It's tough.

My love always says "keep emailing, keep at it" but sometimes I talk his ear off about how it seems like its not working. How long before I've contacted every store in the world with no response, I joke? I sometimes feel like the scales of justice and every time an email goes unanswered the "your stuff sucks" side gets heavier, but every time a customer makes a purchase from my shop the "get it girl" side gets the win. It's hard sometimes (at least for me) to not doubt if what I'm doing is working and everyday I have to say, you're doing what you love so hush and keep growing. I know there is a light at the end of this hard road and I'm so willing to walk it. No one ever said being in business for yourself was easy but when you're doing what you truly love, you never stop - no matter what. I'm so happy to be selling my products in two Atlanta boutiques but the plan is to be in 3 more before the year is out. I know I can do this!

5 comments:

  1. I love this!! I follow you on instagram and had to head over when I saw your post...I'm also a small business owner and so much of this rings so true for me too! At least your TRYING (I've been doing for this for too many years and still live in that "they may say no" fear). Owning a business has so many rewards but can be so isolating and so hard to not question everything. You're doing great and you can completely pick up 3 more stores!! Thank you for posting such honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, thank you so much for sharing your story and kind words of encouragement! I know all to well the fear that comes with owning your own business, once we get over that the sky's the limit!

      Delete
  2. Wow I would have never dreamed that your great work could ever be turned down by any shop. I believe that customers not only buy your product they are buying the big personality behind it. I also own my own product line with art/ prints/ pillows ect. I felt that same way when I applied to sell for OneKingsLane there is always that small voice that say's your product isn't good enough to sell on major stores like that. However when I look at my work I feel like the sky is the limit. One thing I have learned during my one year of business is to start building my own path. Any shop that tells you no or not right now. That is there loss! You are truly blessed with a great gift. Just continue to have faith and work your faith and the right doors will open :) Wishing you much success. Thanks for being so real, and honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jovana, thank you so much! You couldn't be more right about "building your own path". That's one of the biggest lessons I've learned. It may seem like A, B and C are doing what's "hot" but doing your own thing, being your own brand is what pays off in the end.

      Delete
  3. I love this post. Sometimes I get so down on myself when page views on my blog slow or my posts get no comments. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to give up. I hate to admit it, but it really does a number on my self esteem. Now that I'm trying to start my own business, I have let myself get in the way too much. I have too many self doubts that I'm trying to push through. I need to let my "get it girl" side shine a little brighter too ;)

    ReplyDelete